So maybe you’re asking yourself does playstation 4 have a region lock in games, here are some answers to that:
- Partially. In my country, you can’t buy GTA 5 off the store or redeem a code for it, however, a disc version of the game will allow you to play online and offline. Basically, sony can only lock a game from the store (digitally), not in a physical (Blu-ray) form Edit: in case you meant dlc too, DLC can only work in it’s specified country, the same goes for prepayed ps4 $ and ps plus codes
- Yes, playstation 4 has region lock. If you buy it one country , you cant play it in another country. this is to prevent gamers from taking advantage where some games cost less in some countries than others.
- PS4 doesn’t have a region lock. The PAL and NTSC region system of previous gen consoles have also been removed. It is upto the game publisher to take a decision on the region lock.
The DLC system is a different story however. You can’t download DLCs in your region using a disc bought in another.
- PlayStation 4 games are distributed at retail on Blu-ray Disc, and digitally as downloads through the PlayStation Store. Games are not region–locked, so titles purchased in one region can be played on consoles in all regions, and players can sign-on to anyPS4 console to access their entire digital game library.
- From your question, I assume you’re talking about physical copies (discs) but I will also address digital copies further below.
The physical copies of games, as I write this, are not region-locked. This means you can buy a game from another side of the world and still be able to play it on your console. (Hooray for japanese games)
The digital copies on the other hand are region-locked. As each region has their own laws regarding the content presented in some games. They can remove the games and their DLCs from their region’s Playstation Store.
You can easily overcome this problem by making an account of another region (using fake credentials).
So there it is. Now go ahead and choose from the expanding library of PS4 games.
- Not the core game itself, but the DLC is region locked.